Saturday, February 22, 2020

The Redemption Project - Intercession


I'm guilty of supporting the side-show. While I have refused to follow the President on Twitter, I still click on the headlines. I still want to know what was said. I want to be appalled, to be exasperated by his words. In fact, if I honestly confess it, I'm a little disappointed if a day goes by and he doesn't say some outrageous thing.

Perhaps it's things I read this week, or just the strange movement of the Spirit, but I thought about the President this morning while reading Scripture. And not in a way I would have expected.

Isaiah writes of a servant who is despised and rejected. In verse twelve of chapter fifty-three we hear that the Servant is counted among the sinners, bears the errors of their rebellion against the Holy One. And, then, at the end of the verse, we're told this Servant intercedes for those same sinners.

The Servant describes the character of Jesus. He has every right to rebuke those around him who speak falsely and without love. He could vent about their tweets and speeches, condemning every detail. But he doesn't. Even dying, he prayed for their forgiveness and that they would receive a new and tender heart of love.

Jesus, unlike me, wouldn't hate-read. He wouldn't be opening his news app with a sick hope that the President had said something offensive. He wouldn't be wishing for some statement or policy about which to get angry.

He would probably do what I should do for Lent, fast from the news cycle. Maybe he'd ignore those statements that are the bread and butter of the media. Surely, he'd tell me that reading these things is no way to help bring about the redemption of Creation.

Or would he?

What if withdrawing isn't the answer? Jesus engaged the world head-on. He didn't avoid what was happening. He just reacted to it much differently than I do.

It might be something to keep reading, keep clicking. But, instead of reacting with the anger these statements are designed to provoke, I react differently. Instead of feeling offended and angered, I am moved to sorrow and, through that, to prayer. Rather than condemn the speaker, I ask for their healing, their wholeness. Instead of screaming "why would someone do that" I can pray, forgive them they don't know what they're doing.

Doing so might bring change. God has softened harder hearts. Where once harsh words were said, love will be spoken. All reason for outrage may cease and joy break forth like a flood. A new person may be born to live and move guided by the Spirit of grace. The world could be touched and healed.

And the President's heart may change as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment